Sup-surfing is considered an active but safe sport. Indeed it is. But it does not completely exclude injuries and unforeseen circumstances. To avoid problems, and the very process of riding on a sailing board brought joy, pleasure – familiarize yourself with the safety techniques of paddling, fastening accessories, the choice of board.
General safety tips on Sup
Going to the sea, lake, river, it is necessary to observe safety techniques. Below is a description of where and how to ride. In addition, it is necessary to comply with the basic rules.
- Inform relatives and friends, where you go riding.
- Specify the time when you have to return from the sea, lake, river.
- If you plan a long and difficult skiing route, tell this information to the Ministry of Emergency Situations.
- If you make a route for skiing, do not go off course.
- If for some reason changed the route, inform your family and friends.
- Try to keep your smartphone with you. To do this, buy a special case and fix it on your body.
Choose a safe place
First of all, you need to decide on the place of riding on an inflatable board with a paddle. There are no restrictions, but there are requirements for some details: wind, current, and waves. Let’s break everything down in detail.
1. Ride in windless weather.
2. If there is wind and it’s weak, it’s not a reason to give up sailing. Remember, the rider is the sail of the board. Pay attention to which way the wind is blowing.
3. Evaluate in which direction it will be easier to sail. Optimal: toward the shore or in the direction you want to go.
4. Never swim against the wind, otherwise, it will be difficult to return to shore. Especially beginners should take this into account, who are still mastering the skills of sailing on a sailing board.
5. If the wind is strong – refuse to swim. Even if it blows in the right direction don’t get on your board. There is a good chance that the wind will change direction and it will be hard to get back to shore.
- Pay attention to the direction of the waves and their strength.
- If you plan to take a ride in one direction only, then launch your board downstream. This way it will be easier to ride.
- If you plan to walk with returning to the point where you started, then follow the recommendation – start to swim against the current, and return in the direction of the waves. This way it will be easier to skate and paddle.
- In the sea or ocean, things are quite different. The current can suddenly change direction. Therefore, study the map beforehand, the areola of the reef zone.
- Remember, the current behind the reefs is very strong and there is a chance that you will not manage to steer.
- For beginners we don’t recommend swimming behind the reefs. Just skate along the beach.
- Choose your board by size and weight. If it’s big you will have a hard time steering it, if it’s small it will sag, be unstable, and unsafe.
- If you are a beginner, then do not think to buy a sap board for racing. You won’t be able to handle it because it’s hard to steer and unstable.
- Don’t buy the cheapest board. This is especially true when riding in an aggressive environment: near corals, reefs, rocky shores. It’s easy to damage the board, it will deflate and become unusable. This is the best thing that can happen in the sea or the ocean.
Safety techniques for attaching accessories and devices
In addition to the above, you need to properly fix different types of parts, without which it is impossible to ride on aboard. Let’s understand in detail.
Fixing the paddle
- Make sure the paddle is connected correctly. You will hear a “click” when you connect it correctly.
- Check that all parts of the accessory are attached. If the paddle is assembled incorrectly, the paddle may detach from the stick while riding. The rider will have to paddle with his hands to get back. And if you swim far away – you will need to ask for a tow.
Attaching the Leash
- Use only smooth water. Never use while racing, otherwise it’s dangerous.
- Attach one edge tightly to the board. You should hear a click.
- Fix the other edge on your ankle or under your knee. Choose a location based on the length of the fox.
- Make sure that the spinal cord does not get in the way or tangle in your legs.
Attaching the fin.
There is only one requirement when attaching such an accessory. The fin should click when attached. If it does not, then it is not tightly secured. In case it falls off, it will be extremely difficult to operate the board.
- If you swim well and plan to paddleboard near shore, it is not necessary to wear the vest.
- If you plan to swim in choppy water, a life jacket is a must.
- If you can not swim – do not ride aboard at all. Sup board is easy enough to buy, as well as additional accessories.
Read more: The Benefits of surfing